Welcome to the Count Basie Corner

This blog will serve the purpose of sharing live recordings by the great Count Basie, from various stages of his career. I don't know when I'll get started and don't know how fast new posts will follow here, so best you just keep watching.

I was involved in an earlier project on Bill Basie, namely a website planned for release in 2004, the year which marked both his hundreth anniversary as well as the twentieth year of his death. The few of us dedicated to that project in the end got overwhelmed by the amount of work it meant (it was to included the best available discography of the Count's recorded music, articles, short biographies on the musicians, a timeline drafted by yours truly, etc etc). I am *not* planning to release any of that here, except maybe some of my notes from the timeline, now and then.

Also I might try and post the recordings in chronological way, eventually.

Alas, this is the first and only post for the moment, but I have some music around that I'll put up soon here.

I hope you'll enjoy this blog and the opportunity to check out some of Bill Basie's music from various points in time!

8 comments:

James A. Naismith said...

Just found this blog through ubu roi. LOVE Kansas City jazz! Basie, Webster, Pres, Mary Lou, McShann, Big Joe, etc. all were great artists. I'm looking forward to exploring your site.

KungFuTrumpet said...

A pleasure to find your blog -- top-notch!

KungFuTrumpet said...

will drop by often, thx for the dedicated work

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nigel said...

Hey, Did you happen to catch a slightly unexpected appreciation of Basies "This Time By Basie" from The Bad Plus piano wizard Ethan Iverson?

http://thebadplus.typepad.com/dothemath/2009/04/retrospect.html

I love it when people find something worthwhile in an album that is seemingly a commercial cash-in. I like Ellington's Mary Poppins album a lot more than I would have ever expected.

Cheers

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ubu said...

Hi Brew, and thanks a lot for your kind offer!

I think I have all the live and film Basie Octet sides, and the official material is actually beyond the scope of this blog. The live & film material will eventually be posted, but I'm too busy with too many other things in real life at the moment to post regularly here, alas!

Potluck Suicide said...

Nice site. As resident of mid-west - recently getting turned on to Kansas City related sound. Going to link your site to my site's sidebar.
PS